The tapeworm parasite infects our pets through the consumption of either rodents or fleas. When out pets groom themselves and accidentally ingest fleas they can become infected with the parasite, or they can become infected by hunting and then ingesting their prey.

The most common sign of this parasite is the appearance of segments (which look like grains of rice) on the feces, or occasionally on the coat of the hind quarters of our pets.

The prevention of fleas and rodent hunting will help prevent infection with this parasite.

Treatment for this parasite is available.